Hastur/Feaster Guide

[Copy link]

Threads

Credits

Lv.2 Fresh Member

Credits
Jump to specified page
The Landlord
Post time 2018-8-27 10:40:00 | Show the author posts only Reply Awards |Descending |Read mode
Detective Diaries
In-Game Name: Animosity
Digital ID: 640111
Edited by Animal at 2018-8-27 10:46

I pulled Hastur day 1 and have been playing him rather vigorously since. I wouldn't exactly call myself 'pro' or anything with him yet, but I can certainly help make a guide based on my observations. So here we go.

First thing's first, persona tree:

Personally for Hastur I use all the way to the bottom for Detention (let's face it, any survivor not running Detention has to be a bot, it's just too good NOT to run, plus it helps make up for his slightly slower movement speed in the endgame) and all the way to the right for Wanted Order. The effect of Wanted Order is a good way to early game jump to another target and build up your ultimate skill. For the remainder of my skill points I use Deerstalker and Tinnitus (Deerstalker is a must as when you mark someone and they're hit who knows where by a random tentacle it helps to find them) and Tinnitus is good to know a survivor is near. If you know a survivor is near, you can make a tentacle attack and usually it will attack in the direction of the nearest survivor (and if you're fortunate it will hit a hiding survivor and reveal them for you). I also use Announcement, mainly because when the doors are openable, since I main the Teleport ability, I want to know which gate to jump to, it also can help if a survivor his hiding near you and the ciphers get powered to know where they are. The last ability is dealer's choice. I currently use Deteriorate as sometimes you'll have a marked survivor get away, or another survivor get hit with a tentacle who was too close to the marked one when it attacked. I thought about going for Lurk but most of the time people stop decoding when in the fear radius, anyway.

So let's look at Hastur's abilities:

Shape of Terror: It is a bit of a weird read. Basically, the way to understand it is, that tentacles will randomly spawn around survivors while they are within the fear radius. I haven't found anything that particularly triggers a tentacle spawn, other than if a survivor is decoding at a machine for a long time, you'll find many tentacles surrounding the machine.

Nightmare Attack: 5 second cooldown. Press, hold and look towards a nearby tentacle to make it attack. Keep in mind there's a slight wind up to the attack, so depending on the direction the survivor is running, they can often easily dodge these swings unless mid-vault or such. The best time to use nightmare attack is when they are attempting to pallet loop as soon as they drop the pallet. Provided a tentacle is nearby whether spawned on its own or placed by you with the second ability. The other thing is using it does not cause you to have a recovery if a tentacle hits, so you can use it, have a tentacle hit the survivor and be swinging at the exact same time and hit the survivor yourself for a two-hit combo that instantly incapacitates them.

Tentacles: Requires level 1 (2-hits), 15 second cooldown. This allows you to place a tentacle down where you choose. You press, hold, and then can slide to determine the distance. It will not, however, spawn a tentacle if it is pulled all the way back in front of Hastur. The range on this ability is EXTENSIVE, to the point you can almost slide it forward and spawn a tentacle across the smaller maps. The best use of this ability sometimes isn't combined with Nightmare Attack (looping survivors notwithstanding) but to 'steer' survivors where you want them to go to make them easier to hit in a chase. As you can while chasing a survivor, throw a tentacle ahead of them, depending on location they are likely to turn away from it to avoid the hitbox radius. I've used this many times to steer survivors into the open for easier hits and incapacitations.

Nightmare Gaze: Requires level @ (5-hits) 20 second cooldown* (Is reduced by 10 seconds every time a survivor is hit by a tentacle while under the effects of Nightmare Gaze). This is what I lovely dub "marked for death" during my streams. Essentially, when you place this on a survivor, for the next 20 seconds, they will AUTOMATICALLY be attacked by ANY tentacles they come within range of. Those attacks can also hit other survivors who are too close to that survivor. I cannot begin to explain how many times I put mark on one survivor, chase/incapacitate another survivor only to have the marked survivor randomly go down elsewhere. (Why deerstalker is a must) it also makes anti-looping that much more powerful. Your main goal as Hastur should be to unlock Nightmare Gaze ASAP. One thing I'll always do is down Mechanic robots (which can be found via Tinnitus) as these grant a hit.

Trait: I use Teleport personally. Blink is less needed as you can use tentacles to an even better effect than blink. Peepers aren't exactly necessary as your tentacles will automatically attack close survivors so if someone is trying to 'hide' (IE shrunken explorer) drop a tentacle, make it swing, good chance you'll hit with it.

One thing I want to point out, is in the menu there's an option to turn off Hastur's ring fo visbility. Keep in mind this only really applies to his original and 'glutton' costumes. As thanks to the smaller shape of the trident and the transparentness of the ring around it on the Poseidon's Crown and Poseidon skins, you can see perfectly fine whether the option is on or off.

Another thing to mention, is Hastur's REGULAR attacks. He has range/reach, what I mean by this is, his regular hits can actually hit survivors through windows, making him slow-vaulters nightmare. When a survivor is going to jump a window, always commit to the swing/hit, because you will most likely land it even if they've already touched ground on the other side and started to run forward. However, this only applies to windows, this same reach cannot hit over pallets. It is an interesting design choice, but I'm certain is as intended. (Obviously you can opt for throwing a tentacle inside the window they're about to vault and hit them with that, but this is more for early game when you cannot spawn tentacles yourself yet.) I have gotten Terror Shocks from hitting them through the window at the end of their vault because of his reach. Also, like the Smiley Face, he can essentially hit through pallet areas before they are dropped or as they are being dropped. You can commit to the swings and while you'll likely get pallet stunned, getting those hits to unlock Nightmare Gaze is more important.

Anyway, that's all for this guide, hope it helps some! Happy Hunting!

For contest purposes, see above for my in-game ID # and name. My server is Global/English NA/EU.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Lv.3 Junior Member

Credits
The Sofa
Post time 2018-8-30 17:17:53 From the mobile phone | Show the author posts only
i bought and started played feaster as soon as he came out. and i was having some fun playing as him, got a few 4ks right away, saw the potential for anti-looping but as i played more i just kept losing games over and over again because he is so ability dependent, by the time i got nightmare gaze, the gates were powered, i can never put down the tentacle where i want, and he feels so long-range oriented that i end up trying to hit with tentacles instead of just swinging

i have tried multiple persona builds with him and nothing has really worked consistently yet.
Reply Support Not support

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Lv.2 Fresh Member

Credits
The Bench
 Author| Post time 2018-8-31 20:45:23 | Show the author posts only
ipwnlocks replied at 2018-8-30 17:17
i bought and started played feaster as soon as he came out. and i was having some fun playing as him ...

Sorry to hear you've been having a hard time finding something consistent, I actually switched my persona build up. I haven't lost a game with him yet in ranked. I had a week extra to practice with him though, and I'm good at throwing my tentacles where I want them.

Also, are you playing on phone or emulator? Because I feel he'd be almost impossible to play on an emulator, you need to have the fast/perfect controls that only your thumbs/fingers can provide via a phone.

One recommendation is early game don't chase kiters, if there's a mechanic or mind's eye out there, go find them, they're slow vaulters and you can easily terror shock them because of his reach through windows.

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Lv.3 Junior Member

Credits
The Floor
Post time 2018-9-1 08:10:23 From the mobile phone | Show the author posts only
i can only play on an emulator anymore, the game wont even run on my phone without crashing constantly at this point.

which makes placing the tentacles very imprecise.

i have been trying to focus on getting nightmare gaze as quickly as possible in games because i found that that is the feaster's biggest weakness: not having his last ability. before he gets it, it just feels like he can do little more than simple walk around at what feels like the slow mode of geisha and regular attack people, and hope for a random tenacle spawn to be in a good enough position to hit.

about ignoring kiters, and chasing slow vaulters, i would try to do this... but  thats hard to do when there aren't any in nearly any games i play. I current a tier 3-2 killer, which means most of my games are comprised of nothing but tier 4 surviors so every game is nothing but theifs, coordinators, forwards, and MAYBE a doctor but thats pretty much it. no one really uses mind's eye or mechanic anymore

Use magic Report

Threads

Credits

Lv.2 Fresh Member

Credits
5#
Post time 2018-9-3 19:36:53 From the mobile phone | Show the author posts only
Thank you I wanted to know if I should but him 2000 clues away getting there but now I will buy him not only for what he can do but how he looks if you see me in game just give a hi human

Use magic Report

You have to log in before you can reply Login | Register immediately

Points Rules

Privacy Policy, Terms and Conditions
©1997-2017 NetEase, Inc.All Rights Reserved